Hooghly Women's College
Affiliated to Burdwan University
 

 

Responsive Drop Down Navigation Menu | CodingLab

 

About Us

History of the College

 

The human habitation named Hooghly-Chinsurah stands as an age old witness to the perennial ebb and tide of the Ganga, also named as Hooghly River. Besides being an ancient town, it has a rich cultural legacy. With the effusive efflux in the greatest river of India close to it, Hooghly-Chinsurah has a fountain head of an opulent and affluent culture and education. The alluring charm of her riches attracted the Pathans, the Mughals, the Portugueses, the Dutches, the Armenians, the French and English in various phases of her history. Interestingly enough, one locality of Hooghly-Chinsurah, even in 21st century is still “Mughaltuli”. Hooghly as a district was formed in 1749 sq.km. The importance of the place can be ascertained in the historical event of setting up of Bengal’s first railway from Howrah to Hooghly, inaugurated on 15th August, 1854.

Western education began to sprout up in the eastern region of India with the establishment of a school in Hooghly by the Portuguese Jesut priests in 1598. The French Jesuits opened a college in Bandel chiefly with the objective of teaching theology. However, it is the first college in the entire eastern region of India. From the endowment granted by the Trust after the name of Hazi Mohammad Mohsin, who was a living legend for his astounding wisdom, munificence, charity and generousity, were founded Chinsurah Imambara Hospital, the Imambara Hooghly Madrasah and Hooghly College, The all pervading enthusiasm for the western education made the way for the foundation Hooghly College at present Hooghly Mohsin College in 1856.

In 1926 was founded Banimandir Balika Vidyalaya. This  time, no more the foreign nuns, the local enthusiasts came forward to disseminate education among women. The medium of instruction in the school changed from English to vernacular in Balika Siksha Mandir. Dr. Prosad Das Mallick, a pioneer in the field of spreading education among women, established Binodini Girls School at Ghutiabazar, Hooghly after the name of his late wife. With the onward march of time, the tradition of Women’s education became more healthy and enriched. This came to a summit with the establishment of a Women’s college in Hooghly.

 

College Profile

 

Hooghly Women’s College is a glorious milestone in the history of education of women not only in Hooghly district but also in the state of West Bengal. It is the sixth academic institution in the district and is the first women’sSri. Kalipada Mitra, Founder Principal(1949-1951) college of the district and also is the largest Women’s College of Burdwan University. What matters, of course, not the age, but the role it has played in awakening the women of the district and beyond, through the dissemination of education. The initial effort to found a women’s college in Hooghly was made in 1943. Some local educationists and social reformists made an active endeavor to set up Hooghly Women’s College to cater education for women. Sri Nripendranath Dhar, a renowned advocate and educationist was the pioneer in this field. Other figures, inspired by the some missionary zeal joined them. Hooghly Women’s College thus started pulsating in thee little concrete structure named “Mission House” with only 17 students in Chuchura Maidan in the banks of River Ganga in a day in the year 1943. Unfortunately if came to an abrupt halt as university recognition did not come in time. But the lamp was already lighted and the last flicker of the dyeing lamp continued to glow. This initial endeavor, though not endowed with immediate success, should be remembered with awe and reverence by everyone related to the institution.

After the Independence of India, in 1948, the Govt. of West Bengal adopted policies and programs to spread women’s education. Rejuvenated by the government policies, the educationists of Hooghly made a fresh venture to transform their dream into reality. In 1948 on 12th December, in the meeting held in the presence of the District Magistrate, C. Noronha, Director of Public Instruction Snehamoy Dutta, Nripendranath Dhar and 19 other distinguished personalities, and unanimous proposal to start college classes and courses was accepted. Thus under the benevolent effort of Bengal Mission, a wing of Scotland Church, classes of first year started on 1st August 1949, with only 41 students and four teachers in the tiny building of ‘Mission House’. In this juncture, we recollect and utter the name of Scott Mission with profound regard and deep respect. It was this mission which had kindled the torch of women’s education in the district. In the early 19th century, north Hooghly areas showed a good number of Scott missionaries. A few of them tried to educate the girls of this zone. They started one high school in a rented house of Chuchura with only 18 students probably in early 19th century [exact time not known]. Education of the girl students started in the pre-independence period by the effort of those missionaries whose spark of education could dispel the darkness of superstitions and inhibitions of the society.

The first Principal to grace the chair of Hooghly Women’s College was Sri Kalipada Mitra. In the historical first day of the college 41 students got lesson from four lecturers. Three months later, to the 4 teachers, each of Sanskrit, English, Geography and Philosophy was added a fifth teacher of Bengali. In 1951 Srimati Shantisudha Ghosh succeeded Kalipada Mitra as Principal. Student strength increased from 41 to 69, teachers 9, with two clerks and one peon. On February 1952, the Chief Minister Bidhan Chandra Roy inaugurated the new building. Henceforth classes ware held in this new building and from 1952 students were granted permission to appear in the University examination (Calcutta) of IA and Sm. Santi Sudha Ghosh(1951-1970)B.A. To meet the growing demand of students coming from remote areas, a hostel building was constructed in 1958 in the college campus.


In 1960, The University of Burdwan was established. Naturally affiliation of Hooghly Women’s College to Calcutta University was transferred to Burdwan University. The first positive result of this affiliation was the opening of science faculty in the same year. A third floor was added to the already two storied college building. Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics departments were opened with laboratory facilities. Instead of the so long subject of Commercial Geography, general course in Geography was introduced. Number of teachers increased simultaneously. In 1965, the department of Political Science was opened. Within 10 years of its inception, Honours Courses in Philosophy, Sanskrit, Bengali and later History were opened in the College. In 1964, the college library could take its formal shape and structure with state Government aid. In 1969 with permission for Geography Honours, a separate Geography building was constructed. Gradually necessity triggered of many other things, such as students Union, Sports and Games, College Magazine etc.

On 1st September 1970, Srimati Saandhyasashi Mukherjee took charge as the Principal. The onward march of the Sm. Sandhyasashi Mukherjee(1970-1980)college had gained in momentum. In 1973-74 student strength was approx 700. In 1978 Honours course in Physics started. A steady success could be perceived in academic result and even in sports and games. Students brought certificates, awards and medals from intra-college and inter-college competitions. Interested teachers came forward to boost up students for co-curricular activities and cultural programmes. The results were enlightening. Thus annual sports, college social, foundation day programme, competition, debate, seminar, exhibition became normal events of the college.

In September 1981, Srimati Anita De became the next Principal. 1949 to 1981 –these 32 Anta Dey(1980-2000)years, Hooghly Women’s College has branched itself into a huge tree. The number of students and teachers showed a steady rise. A full fledged Governing body assisted and advised the Principal on all matters concerning academics and administration. Grants flowed from U.G.C. Thus rooms were added to the first floor of the main building in 1998. The Principal took every possible measure to complete the science building which was lying skeleton bare. The figure of library books which was 5000 in 1962, stood at 21,695 in 1999, students strength was 976. Another great achievement was the opening of English Honours in 1999. With due auspicies the college observed its Golden Jubilee in this year.

Dr. Sumita Bajpai joined as Principal in December 2000-2014. Anta Dey(1980-2000)Henceforth, the history of the college is a history of expansion and enrichment and steady progress. With a new dynamicity, the college as it stands today can boast of 7 departments with Honours and students over 1000. The very recent feathers in its cap are completion of  the Science Block with opening of Zoology, Botany and Microbiology Departments, opening of Economics Honours, Chemistry Honours, Mathematics Honours and Microbiology Honours and lastly Music Honours in 2009. College authority has tried to introduce at least on professional course in each Arts and Science streams from 2006 i.e., Music and Microbiology. The Geography Block is recently re-modelled with the addition of another floor to the building. There are other constructional  works on progress with the renovation of the Hostel building, construction of college canteen, new UGC hostel and overall re-modelling and beautification of the entire college campus with the necessary amenities and accessories. A computer training centre with assistance of the Institute of Computer Engineers (India) has opened a new horizon to the women of this locality which paves a new path towards an all-around orientation. Building on its past exp0erience, Hooghly Women’s College thus recognizes the need to move forward. Therefore, the college looks to new horizons dedicating itself to the cause of women’s empowerment. Thus the college provides the necessary infrastructure so as to provide quality education to the students. The college has excellent faculties with fully qualified and supporting staff members who are available to students whenever they require any type of guidance. The students are vibrant and they altogether create an environment that is friendly and enthusiastic. The college promotes extra-curricular activities and encourages students to take part in it because they believe that overall development of students should take place to grow and emerge to be fine citizens and effective personalities, loyal to the highest ideals of their profession and moral values.Thus Hooghly Women’s College with 60 years of dedicated service in the field of women education is successfully rewarded in its resolve and internal strength to remain the beacon of light grounded in the mission of providing the connection between learning and living.Anta Dey(1980-2000)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dr. Sima Banerjee Present Principal of the college joined 2015.

Goal & Mission of Our College 

  • Education of the women of the area concerned.
  • To bring self-respect by value-education.
  • To make the students self sufficient by access to Higher Education.
  • Competitive Examinations and Teacher’s Training Programmes.
  • Upliftment of women and empowerment in society.
  • To provide quality education and training to the students for empowerment in the society.
  • To provide opportunities for all basic subjects of Arts and Science streams.
  • To provide opportunity in teacher’s Training Programmes, in Teaching and assess to Post Graduate Courses.
  • Students, to be oriented to value-education through the activities of NSS Units, Science Centre and Women’s Cell of the college.

Principals of the Institution

  1. Sri Kalipada Mitra
  2. Smt. Santisudha Ghosh, Founder Principal ( 1951-1970 )
  3. Sm. Sandhyasashi Mukherjee ( 1970-1980 )
  4. Sm. Anita De ( 1980- 2000 )
  5. Dr. Sumita Bajpai ( 2000-2014 )
  6. Dr. Sima Banerjee(2015-Present)

Celebrated Faculties ( past & present)

  1. Sm. Santisudha Ghosh, Retd. Principal of the college is renowned " Freedom Fighter".
  2. Dr. Sumita Bajpai, Principal of the college has received national award as " Young Scientist" from Indian Science Congress Association.
 
 
Useful Links
Contact Us
Google Map
 
 
 
 
Hooghly Women's College
1, Vivekananda Road, Pipulpati
P.O. & Dist. Hooghly - 712103.
Ph. No : 91-33-26805033 (Office)
Fax No : 91-33-26802335

 

Follow Us On
 
 
 
(C) Hooghly Women's College